Calendar of the Modern Seniors Club and the Polish Radio Experimental Studio Fans Circle 2021-22
The following is the Calendar of the Modern Seniors Club and the Polish Radio Experimental Studio Fans Circle
The project of the Polish Radio Experimental Studio Fans Circle was co-financed by the Polish-American Freedom Foundation's "UTW-Seniors in Action" program implemented by the Association of Creative Initiatives "ę".
In July and August 2022. The Modern Seniors Club:
- saw an exhibition about Jerzy Beres at the Dawid Radziszewski Gallery, as well as a show of works from the Night Art Patrol collection and an exhibition of photographs by Wanda Malkowska "Colors of light - colors of silence" at the Konstancin Cultural Center;
- was on curatorial tours of the exhibitions "Dedications" at the Profile Foundation Gallery and "Art And Science 4" at the M. Nencki Institute of Experimental Biology of the Polish Academy of Sciences;
- Participated in guiding the former deputy director of the Museum of Modern Art in Warsaw, Marcel Andino Velez, through the exhibitions: "200 Revelations" and "Raster Sculpture Garden" at the Raster Gallery.
In July and August, thePolish Radio Experimental Studio Fans Circle:
- met with Sinfonia Varsovia employee, architect Maciej Walczynski at the "Sinfonia Varsovia in miniature" mock-up, who talked about what the orchestra's future concert hall will look like.
In May and June 2022 the Modern Seniors Club:
- members of the Club's Art Group presented their works at the exhibition "Contemporary Art is Ok. Old age is ok" organized at the Museum of Modern Art, 3 Panska St;
- painted sounds at the "Experimental Playing and Painting on the Vistula River" event organized by the SEPR Supporters Circle;
- several members of the Club attended the opening of the "Art &Science" exhibition, held at the Marceli Nencki Institute of Experimental Biology of the Polish Academy of Sciences, organized by, among others, Prof. Adam Szewczyk, a member of the Club;
- 5 members of the Club went to the Museum of Art 2 in Lodz to look at works related to the Experimental Studio of Polish Radio at the collection exhibition;
- in the "Places of Art" series led by former MSN Deputy Director Marcel Andino Velez, the Club visited the Foksal Gallery and the Studio Gallery, where it looked at the Decolonizations exhibition;
- The Club viewed the exhibitions "Refugees Welcome. Artists for Refugees" at the Museum on the Vistula River and "Happy family" by Katarzyna Balcer at the Zachęta Project Place;
- with Club guide, art historian Ada Kaczmarek, visited the exhibitions: "From Abstraction to Abstraction" at the Stefan Gierowski Foundation and "Stefan Gierowski 2013" at aTAK Gallery, as well as "Circus" at Królikarnia;
- The Society of Friends of MSN invited the Club to a curatorial tour by William Kenneth Huffman of the exhibition "New Inuit Art: Contemporary Inuit Art from Kinngait" at the Ethnographic Museum;
- The Club participated in a special screening of the film "Flight" organized by MSN at the Kinogram cinema in the Norblin Factory;
- As part of its original online series: "Artists and Artists Close and Familiar," Aldona Doliszna spoke at ZOOM with Majka Maria Kiesner and Dr. Stefan Paruch, who later invited the Club to a group exhibition at the Dutch House Foundation;
- in May, members of the Club's art group painted in the style of optical art;
- several members of the Club participated in a promotional meeting for Marcel Andino Velez's book "The Secular" combined with a performance by Ewa Zarzycka;
- in May, the Club walked with Paweł Brylski on Bank Square, while in June it walked on Haller Square and the wild Vistula River waterfront near the Gdansk Bridge;
- together with the staff of the MSN's education and communications departments, several Club members went to Lodz to see the exhibitions: "Avant-Garde Museum" at MS1 and "BOWNIK. THE BOWNIK" at the Textile Museum with a guided tour by the artist, Pawel Bownik.
In May and June 2022 the Polish Radio Experimental Studio Fans Circle:
- invited members of the Circle, the Club and the general public to the Mazovian Institute of Culture for the screening of a film by Zuzanna Solakiewicz about Eugeniusz Rudnik entitled; "15 sides of the world";
- members of the Circle and Club participated in two #Tape Sound Walks and a guided tour of the construction of the new MSN building on Pl. Defilad;
- organized 2 Reunions of Circle members at the Sophia and Oskar House in Shumin;
- organized 2 excursions to the Museum of Art in Lodz, where the permanent exhibition features artistic works related to the Studio's history. Curators Agnieszka Pindera and Daniel Muzyczuk told us about the collection of archival materials on SEPR, which has been under construction for years;
- The summary of the 10-month period of the Circle's activities under the aegis of the "ę" Society for Creative Initiatives, the Polish-American Freedom Foundation and the Society of Friends of the MSN was the "Experimental Playing and Painting on the Vistula River" picnic organized near the Museum.
March and April 2022. The Modern Seniors Club:
- Together with staff from MSN's Education and Communications Departments, went to Lodz to see the exhibitions: "Avant-Garde Museum" at MS1 with a curatorial tour and "BOWNIK. PODSZERSTEK" at the Textile Museum with a guided tour by the artist, Pawel Bownik;
- at the invitation of the Society of Friends of the MSN, participated in an event held at the Luna Cinema: "Why do we keep asking, where are the great artists?", which included a screening of the film "Hilma af Klint. Pioneer of Abstraction" and a discussion with the participation of Andy Rottenberg;
- with visits to the Avant-Garde Institute and the Foksal Gallery Foundation, kicked off new monthly meetings in the "Places of Art" series, during which former MSN vice-director Marcel Andino Velez tells Club members about exhibitions and the role the institutions in question play in the development of contemporary art in Warsaw, Poland and the world;
- with the Club guide, art historian Ada Kaczmarek, viewed the exhibitions: "Jarosław Modzelewski" at the Centre for Contemporary Art Ujazdowski Castle, "There is another island under this island" by Rafał Wilk at the Gray Gallery, and "Sankt Anna" by Anna Orłowska at the Guni Novika Gallery;
- Participated in the opening of the exhibition "Refugees Welcome. Artists and Artists for Refugee Women and Refugees" and Aldona Doliszna's "Quadrangle with an Artist and an Artist" series accompanying the exhibition; met at ZOOM with several artists who donated their works to the auction: Dominika Kowynia, Martyna Borowiecka, Karolina Jablonska, Malgorzata Mycek, Krzysztof Maniakie and Jan Możdżinski;
- participated in a longer on-liner meeting with painter Maria Majka Kiesner as part of Aldona Doliszna's regular series: "Artists and Artists Close and Familiar";
- was guided by curator Pawel Brylski through the exhibition "Surgical Cut" shown in the Salon of the Academy of Fine Arts;
- Pop art and Minimalism were themes explored at Ela Holoweńko's March and April art workshops;
- continuing cooperation with the Zygmunt Hubner Powszechny Theater, some Club members took advantage of the opportunity to buy cheaper tickets for the play "Filoktet ex Machina" and a very interesting post-performance discussion with staff of the theater's education department;
- on the group's FB profile, group members very often posted photo and video reports of the exhibitions they saw and photos of the art works they made.
In March and April 2022 the Polish Radio Experimental Studio Fans Circle:
- In March, the 1st Meeting of the Polish Radio Experimental Studio Supporters' Circle was held at the Museum of Modern Art. Invited guests, retired Studio employees Prof. Krzysztof Szlifirski, Wojciech Makowski, Barbara Okoń-Makowska, composers Elzbieta Sikora and Krzysztof Knittel, who cooperated with the Studio, and the designer of electroacoustic equipment Zdzislaw Rudzki, as well as Marek Zwyrzykowski, who still works at PR, told the gathered Circle members how they worked at the Studio. The afternoon of reminiscences ended in the Reading Room of Words and Sounds "Elektra" (Mazovian Institute of Culture) with listening to music from the music created in the Experimental Studio in the 1970s;
- MIK also presented a film by Wiktor Metko: "Cenrit Fonia. Polish Sound, Forgotten History." Participating in the discussion with the director were former employees of the Cenrit Fonia plant, among them, Club and Circle member Zdzislaw Rudzki;
- two sound walks led by cellist Joanna Zablocka were held: "Tape Walk #2: Landscapes of the Studio" and "Tape Walk #3: The M-Z Route";
- at three workshops in the series "Archive of Oral Histories of Modernity," participants, members of the Club, prepared to conduct interviews with former employees and associates of the Experimental Studio of Polish Radio;
- in March and April, members of the Club as well as the Fans Circle held a two-day digital workshop with Magdalena Foryś on how to use FB, video-conferencing platforms and audio recording, and a several-hour class with Tita's Flying Cultural Animator Alicia Szulc on shooting and editing short videos.
January and February 2022 the Modern Seniors Club:
- viewed exhibitions: "Teresa Pągowska" at Spectra Art Space, "Peripheral Vision" by Maciej Cholewa at the Gray Gallery, and prints by lecturers of the Academy of Fine Arts at the exhibition "EXPRINT/IMPRINT" at the Academy of Fine Arts with the Club's guide, art historian Ada Kaczmarek;
- at the invitation of the Society of Friends of the MSN, participated in a curatorial tour of the exhibition "Between Collectivism and Individualism. Japanese Avant-Garde in the 1950s and 1960s" at the Zachęta Gallery;
- looked at the work of non-professional painter Epifaniusz Drowniak at the exhibition "Nikifor. Painter over painters" at the Ethnographic Museum;
- attended the exhibition "Jerzy Grabowski. Between Mathematics and Emotion" at the Kordegarda Gallery of the National Cultural Center and at the exhibition "Glass Light, Glass Days" at the Szydłowski Gallery where the artist herself, Maja Kitajewska, talked about her works;
- was given a tour of the exhibition at the Museum on the Vistula River: "Who Will Write the History of Tears. Artists on women's rights" by curator Magda Lipska;
- learned about the history of the creation of the Estate behind the Iron Gate on a walk with MSN curator Pawel Brylski;
- at an art workshop led by Ela Holoweńko, Club members created works inspired by the styles of Expressive Abstractionism and Arte Povera;
- in her original ZOOM series "Artists and Artists Close and Familiar," Club member Aldona Doliszna talked with the artists and visual artists she invited: Joanna Mlycka, Karolina Zimna Stelmaszewska and Arkadiusz Karapuda. They told stories and showed photos of their works in power point presentations;
- throughout January and February, several Club members participated in a series of workshops on the world of 3D printing and VR (augmented reality), held at the Polish-Japanese School of Information Technology (PJATK);
- Club members were present at the opening of the "Cultural Tandem" intergenerational project organized jointly by the Wola Cultural Center and the "Nowolipie" Center for Intergenerational Activity. The mentor of the 2 tandems creating joint artistic works was Club member Ela Holoweńko.
In January and February 2022 the Polish Radio Experimental Studio Fans Circle:
- increased its membership to 515;
- began recruiting for the project "Oral Histories of Modernity: interviews with employees and collaborators of the Polish Radio Experimental Studio." Curator of Archives of the Museum of Modern Art, Magda Drągowska introduced the members of the Circle to the main assumptions of the project and talked about the methods of conducting interviews;
- members of the Circle were invited to ZOOM for a lecture by Michal Mendyk, "A Pole Reports from Space, or Who Created the Phonosphere of the Future in Eastern Europe," and a talk by Lukasz Strusiński and Michal Mendyk entitled "Sweet Rhythms. Krzysztof Penderecki in the Black Room";
- on the FB group, articles, interviews, lectures, radio and t.v. programs on the Studio - its staff and technical equipment, composers and visual artists creating music there, the history of avant-garde music in Poland and the world - were posted daily on the web, searched for by the administrators and members of the Circle.
In November and December 2021, the Modern Seniors Club:
- participated in Paweł Brylski's curatorial tour of the exhibition "How to do school" at the Museum on the Vistula River;
- met at the Warsaw Workshop at 4 Constitution Square to watch and discuss recordings of training sessions for the exhibition "Who will write the history of tears. Artists on Women's Rights," which opened at the Museum on the Vistula River on November 26;
- accompanied artist Dorota Podlaska on a walk in the "Anthropocene Shadow Show" series;
- viewed the exhibitions: "More Green! Projects by Alina Scholtz" at the Wola Museum and "Wilhelm Sasnal. Such a Landscape" at the POLIN Museum;
- visited the post-industrial area of Soho Factory and the Neon Museum;
- participated in the opening of the exhibition of the Warsaw Association of Visual Artists "As for Summer," hung on the Walls of the Barbican in the Old Town. Club member Jolanta Pacewicz presented her 'positive, colorful painting' "Happy Hens" at the exhibition;
- met with art critic and exhibition curator Agnieszka Rayzacher at Local_30 for the exhibition: "Sisters: Alicja and Bożena Wahl";
- Club member Prof. Helena Dodziuk gave an open lecture on "3-D printing in art";
- began participating in a long series of workshops on the world of 3D printing and VR (augmented reality) organized by the XR laboratory of the Polish-Japanese School of Computer Technology (PJATK);
- as part of the Club's cooperation with the Zygmunt Hubner Powszechny Theater, several Club members watched the play "Mephisto" and discussed it with the theater's educators at ZOOM;
- at 4 art workshops held at the Metamorphosis Gallery, Club members created works in Cubist and Constructivist styles, including beautiful Christmas cards with images of their loved ones to set on the Christmas table;
- These works were displayed at the Social Economy Christmas Fair organized by the Foundation for Social and Economic Initiatives;
- in a series of meetings led by Aldona Doliszna: " Artists and Artists Close and Familiar," Club members met 'a modern painter of objects that are a landscape of herself,' Joanna Mlecka, and painter, graphic designer, illustrator and educator Monika Stolarska, who invited them to a studio shared with painter Ola Parol. They also attended the opening of Maja Kitajewska's exhibition "Glass Light, Glass Days" (curated by Stach Szabłowski);
- a summary of the Club's activities in 2021 was an afternoon "Christmas Eve ramble through the Old Town," ending with delicious drinks and cakes at the iconic communist cafe, Gwiazdeczka - now Patio.
In November and December, the Polish Radio Experimental Studio Fans Circle:
- The Circle increased its membership to over 300;
- articles, interviews, lectures, radio and TV programs about the Studio - its staff and technical equipment, composers and visual artists making music there, the history of avant-garde music in Poland and the world - are posted daily on the FB group, searched online by the administrators and members of the Circle;
- composer and musicologist, Antoni Beksiak, gave a lecture entitled: "History of SEPR. The antidote to socialist realism";
- on 2 tours of the construction site of the new building of the Museum of Modern Art on Pl. Defilad, several members of the Circle together with current and former employees of Polish Radio (Barbara Okoń-Makowska and Wojciech Makowski) explored the room where the reconstructed Experimental Studio of Polish Radio is to be located in the future.
In September and October 2021, the Modern Seniors Club:
- resumed its activities after the summer break with a social meeting at the Marina na_fali, moored under the Museum on the Vistula River;
- inaugurated the establishment of the Polish Radio Experimental Studio Supporters Circle as one of three new projects aimed at developing the Club;
- Club members attended a curatorial tour of the exhibition "Trans 11 603" at the Studio Gallery and visited the exhibitions "Political Art" at the CCA and "Xawery Dunikowski. Painting/Painting" at the Królikarnia, accompanied by club volunteer, art historian Ada Kaczmarek;
- Club members toured the studio of graphic artist Magdalena Salome and viewed an exhibition by Susanna Janin - outings were organized by member Aldona Doliszna;
- began permanent cooperation with the education department of the Zygmunt Hubner Popular Theater with a fantastic herb walk and a tour of the nooks and crannies of the Theater;
- held two art workshops at the Metamorphosis Gallery;
- three visits were made to the construction site of the new MSN building on Pl. Defilad;
- members of the Club, who joined the Circle of Supporters of the Studio
Experimental Studio of Polish Radio, listened to a lecture by architectural historian Aleksandra Kędziorek STUDIO - INSTRUMENT OF THE EXPERIMENTAL STUDIO OF POLISH RADIO.